Saturday 14 April 2012

Pushing Poses

I remember the talk from David Bunting where he was mentioned his time as an animator when he first started out, and the director said to him 'push that pose'. I have taken this and implemented it into my own work today as I was setting up a shot.

I got Rookie and set up this shot with his pose ready to take his glove off and slap oldie in the face.


Now for some reason I was happy with this ( I don't know why, as he has very little emotion and seems very static) and then I remembered David telling us about pushing poses, exaggerating the character's physical emotions to give them more appeal and make them more dynamic.


Now here is the pushed pose, I have taken the whole body and twisted it towards the camera and made him look right down his nose at Oldie. I also brought his hands back and really arched his back, whilst spreading his feet out to redistribute his weight. I think this has made him much more dynamic and characterised, making it more suitable for the action that is going to happen. I am a lot happier with this than the previous pose.

I will be remembering this with all of my shots and pushing them as best I can without going too far!

No comments:

Post a Comment